Dr. Shambhavi Das
Doctorate in Indian Classical
An Indian Vocalist and a Writer who likes to Dance
Reach me at surdemyATgmailDOTcom
Since childhood, I had a passion for music. I spent hours listening to all genres of music, be it classical, folk, semi-classical, light etc. My mother guided me enthusiastically, as she is a great singer too. Therefore, my intense interest and dedication destined me to the path of music, where I found my rooms for peace of mind and contentment.
Becoming successful or acquire fame is neither in my hands, nor I crave for that, but I do have a true desire and aspiration to sing wholeheartedly and with feel. I should feel blissful, blessed and proud with my singing: that’s the definition of success and achievement for me, no matter, I get any external approval or criticism. I am happy that I find myself on that level.
To listen to my music: my favorite songs and bandish
“Teaching/sharing out a specialized field enhances knowledge”, I have fully experienced this quote. Since a few years, teaching music, especially pure classical has become my passion. I had been to the States for a short period of time and ran a small music school. It was overwhelmingly amazing to find my students loved me as a teacher; or when their voices, singing techniques gradually improved. Therefore, I heartily welcome the music lovers or amateurs, who wish to learn.
I have also created an online Indian Classical Music vocal course for beginners on an american-based online teaching website/platform called Udemy.com. Here is the link:
- Completed Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) in Indian classical music (vocal) from Department of music, Delhi University (Dec, 2010 – June, 2012)
- RESEARCH TOPIC: “ANALYSIS OF THE GAYAKI AND COMPOSITIONS OF USTAD VILAYAT HUSSAIN KHAN”
- Masters in Philosophy (MPhil) in Indian Classical Vocal Music from Dept. Of Music, Delhi University
- RESEARCH TOPIC: Related to the “Interrelationship and Effect of Indian Classical Music in Purvanchal (UP) Folk Music 1st div. (64%)
- Master of Arts (M.A.) in Indian classical music (Vocal) , Ist div (60%) from Dept. Of Music, Delhi University.
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A Hons) in Indian Classical Music (vocal) Ist div (68%) from Dept. Of Music, Delhi University.
- Majored in Piano (western discipline), Journalism and creative Writing, from Schoolcraft College, 2013, Michigan, USA
- Completed FIFTH Year (Post-Prabhakar) (all with first Div) From Prayag Sangeet Samiti, ALLAHABAD.
GURUS & GUIDANCE:
- Groomed by my mother Smt. PRABHA DAS, light-music singer & radio artist, AIR, Allahabad
- Pursued Vocal music training under PT. SHANTARAM VISHNU KASHALKAR, a renowned Maestro in Allahabad.
- In Delhi, Achieved special guidance Classical Raga Talim by Mrs. MAYA BHATTACHARYA
- Achieved voice Production technique classes From Dr. SOMA SINGH & Dr. OJESH PRATAP SINGH, disciple of PT. ULHAS KASHALKAR
- Presently, am under the supervision of PT. VIDYADHAR VYAS, a renowned vocalist of Gwalior gharana, & son of Pt. Narayan Rao Vyas.
- Awarded national scholarship from HRD Ministry of Culture, in ghazal category for 2 years.
- Artiste in All India Radio , Allahabad in sugam sangeet category (ghazal, folk music, bhajan ,geet)
- Completed 2nd year in sitar instrumental, from Prayag Sangeet Samiti, Allahabad
- Completed 2nd year in Indian Classical Dance, Kathak, from Prayag Sangeet Samiti. Allahabad.
- Performed in Bharatiya Temple, Troy, Michigan
- collaborated and performed with Sumkali Indian music group, University of Michigan
- Often invited by the Michigan schools to offer lecture-demonstrations to kids, introducing and teaching them Indian music.
- Worked for cultural programs in India-Day festival, Michigan
- Performed light music ,ghazal, bhajan programs at many places. To name a few: Rotary club Allahabad, Sangam Kala Group, Prayag Sangeet Samiti Allahabad, Pratibha Utsav – Triveni Kala Sangam, New Delhi (2007), NCZCC, Allahabad
- Given Performances in Indian Classical Music at many colleges; like Faculty of Music & Fine Arts, Daulat Ram College (2002,2003) DU; The Cultural Council -Shyama Prasad Mukherji College (2006), St. Stephens, Gandhi Bhawan in 2005, DU, etc.
- Participated in numerous competitions and received prizes.
- Given two Group Performances in Sitar in sound of Music at Saraswati Ghat, Allahabad.
- Participated in many Television programmes like Ghazal Sara ETV, Popstars, sa re ga ma,
- Indian idol etc.
- Achieved First runner-up in Ghazal Sara programme, ETV urdu, 2006
- Recorded folk songs for an NGO, SANSARG, Patna , Bihar
- Recently, recorded my own private duet-CD of UP folk style- kajri chaiti, saawan, barahmasa.
- Specialized in Indian musicology (theory of music)
- Possess singing skills for other Indian vocal classical styles : dhrupad, dhamar, Thumri, dadra etc.
- Possess basic Knowledge of harmonium, Tabla & Guitar
- Ability to teach or perform Classical Dance in freestyle on movie songs
- Offer Music tuitions named as ‘Swaryatra music Lessons’ at home in Michigan since three years.
- Worked as Music Teacher at Kendriya Vidyalaya, Kangra (HP) for 1 Year 2 months (From 2008 Dec to 2010 Feb )
- Worked as Music Teacher in Vikas Bharti Public School, Delhi For 4 months
- Initially worked as a part-time Music Teacher in Bal Bharti Kendra, Rohini Branch, Delhi
- Worked as a part-time Music teacher in Sangeet Bharti , Mandi house. New Delhi.